Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Tart
For the Casserole:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup whole milk or half and half, room temperature
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 4 bags Stahlbush frozen green beans, defrosted
For the crispy shallots:
- 3 shallots, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- Canola oil for frying
- pinch fine table salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 12-inch skillet or braiser over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add in the onions, salt and pepper. Cook just until transparent.
- Add in the flour and cook for about a minute until the roux starts to turn golden.
- Slowly pour in the milk and chicken broth. Cook until just thickened and take off the heat.
- Add the chicken bouillon and poultry seasoning and stir until combined. Add in the defrosted green beans and stir to combine.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until it starts to bubble up the sides.
- While the green beans are baking, toss the shallots in the cornstarch, onion powder, and white pepper. Pour canola oil in a saucepan up to about an inch. Place over medium/high heat.
- Once up to temperature (350 degrees or once a small bit of the shallots bubble when dropped in) place the shallots in and cook until golden brown. Remove from the oil and place onto a paper towel. Immediately sprinkle with fine table salt.
- Once the green beans are finished baking, sprinkle on the crispy shallots.