Our COVID-19 Response:
At Stahlbush Island Farms, we have always been committed to keeping healthy, nutritious food on tables both across America and throughout the world each and every day. At the core of our COVID-19 response is the continuation of our best practices which ensure employee health and safety and the highest standards of food safety. We continue to monitor and incorporate additional CDC and OSHA guidelines into our everyday operations.
Employee Health and Food Safety:
At Stahlbush, we have implemented a number of healthy and safety measures to protect our employees during this pandemic. They include:
- Adopting a series of stringent and detailed processes, protocols and protective measures that follow, and many cases exceed, CDC and OSHA guidance for agriculture workers and employers.
- Boosting personal protective equipment to include face masks and shields.
- Implementing daily temperature checks to identify any employees with elevated temperatures prior to them entering the facility.
- Increasing social distancing, wherever possible.
- Implementing a strict work-from-home policy for all employees able to telecommute.
- Ensuring employees know how COVID-19 spreads and how to protect themselves and others.
- Stressing importance of personal hygiene.
- Adding abundant hand sanitizing stations.
- Enhancing cleaning and disinfection.
- Explicitly instructing employees not to report to work if they are sick or exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms.
- Requiring that sick employees stay home and isolate according to CDC and OSHA guidelines.
- Posting employee communications in multiple languages.
- Deferring all business travel.
- Restricting all nonessential visitors.
All these actions complement safety measures already in place at all our locations and are on top of the hygienic and sanitary environments maintained at all times in our industry for food safety and quality purposes.
We have continued to run our facilities to ensure there is limited disruption to the food supply during the COVID-19 pandemic. We owe our employees, and all our nation’s food workers, a debt of gratitude for doing their part to keep our food supply intact. Across the food industry, closures can have severe, perhaps disastrous, repercussions up and down the supply chain. We have taken all necessary precautions to ensure that any disruptions to the food supply are limited.
Mitigating COVID-19 Cases:
To help mitigate any COVID-19 cases in our operations, we have instituted a series of stringent and detailed protocols that follow the guidance of the OHA, CDC and OSHA. These measures have helped us protect our employees and consumers from an outbreak. All employees have been:
- Instructed to stay home if they feel ill or develop any symptoms.
- Advised to contact a health provider if they are concerned that they have contracted COVID-19.
- Instructed to work from home or quarantine if they, a spouse, or live-in family member have been exposed to COVID-19.
Additionally, the area in which the employee works, as well as all common areas, are thoroughly sanitized. This is on top of the enhanced cleaning and disinfection we have already instituted at all our locations.
COVID-19 and Food:
COVID-19 is not a food borne illness. According to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA), there is no evidence of food or food packaging being associated with the transmission of COVID-19.
We ensure every employee involved in the handling, preparing, processing and transporting of our food products utilizes appropriate food safety and personal hygiene procedures at all times. This includes frequent hygienic handwashing and sanitization. As detailed above, we routinely employ personal protective equipment (PPE) throughout our facilities, which covers employees’ heads, faces, hands and bodies, and have added additional equipment as part of our COVID-19 procedures.