Spinach and Lentil Soup with Pancetta
A hearty spinach soup with lentils and pancetta.
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- The white inner heart of a head of celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 250g lentils
- 1.5L chicken stock
- 2 (10 oz.) packages of Stahlbush Island Farms Cut Spinach, thawed
- Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 slices of pancetta
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the onions, carrots and garlic.
- Turn the vegetables in the hot oil and cook uncovered over medium heat for about 10 minutes until they are starting to tenderize.
- Don’t allow the pan to get so hot that the vegetables scorch.
- Equally you don’t want the vegetables to become soggy.
- Add the Lentils and chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cook uncovered at a very gentle simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the lentils are quite tender.
- In the last five minutes, toss in the thawed spinach.
- When the lentils are cooked, season with salt and pepper.
- Blend the soup with a hand held blender to achieve a coarse puree.
- The soup must not be completely smooth, so pulse the soup rather than long blending actions. Small pieces of spinach should be clearly visible.
- Taste and correct seasoning.
- Before serving, cook the slices of pancetta until crisp in a dry nonstick frying pan.
- Place on kitchen paper and keep warm.
- To serve reheat the soup and place two slices of the pancetta in each bowl.
- Drizzle each serving with olive oil.
Stahlbush Island Farms http://www.stahlbush.com/