Chicken Tortilla Soup
Looking for a fun way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo with the family? Take a look at this Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe that includes Stahlbush Island Farms Corn and Chickpeas!
Write a review
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves (3 to 4 pieces)
- 2 cups cilantro stems and sprigs plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- Two 14 1/2-ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 small onions, halved lengthwise (unpeeled)
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 4 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/4 cups Stahlbush Island Farms Frozen Corn
- 3/4 cup Stahlbush Island Farms Frozen Chickpeas
- 5 fresh corn tortillas (5 1/2-inch diameter), cut in 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1/2 small avocado
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large saucepan, combine chicken, 2 cups cilantro, broth, and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer gently until chicken is just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate; let cool. Cut into 1/2-inch dice.
- Strain broth through a fine strainer lined with several layers of cheesecloth; reserve.
- Wipe out pot.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a cast-iron skillet on medium-high until hot.
- Add 3 tomatoes, onions, and garlic; cover and cook, turning vegetables occasionally, until skins are nicely charred, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- When vegetables are cool enough to handle, remove skins, stems, and cores; discard.
- Place tomatoes, onions, and garlic in a blender with 1/2 cup reserved broth; blend until smooth.
- Scrape mixture into saucepan; cook, stirring, over medium heat until thickened and darker, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in remaining broth, 1/4 teaspoon salt, corn, chickpeas, and chicken.
- Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place tortilla strips on a rimmed baking sheet; toss with remaining tablespoon oil and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Bake until golden and crisp, about 12 minutes, turning once or twice. Let cool.
- Finely dice avocado; gently rinse with cold water. Place in a bowl.
- Finely dice remaining tomato, and add to avocado with lime juice, jalapeno, chopped cilantro, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Re-warm soup; ladle into bowls.
- Garnish with avocado mixture, sour cream, and tortilla strips.
- Serves 6
- Recipe & Picture from www.MarthaStewart.com
Stahlbush Island Farms http://www.stahlbush.com/