Sparkling Cream Cheese Cranberry Cupcakes
These lovely creations were a favorite at our Thanksgiving company potluck. Baked by Stahlbush employee, Kerri Hicks this recipe is adapted from Krissy’s Creations. Enjoy this perfect holiday treat.
Write a review
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups frozen Stahlbush cranberries, thawed
White Chocolate Filling
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 ounces of white chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup egg whites (about 3-4 eggs)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
Sugar covered Cranberries (optional)
- 2 cups Stahlbush frozen cranberries
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Make white chocolate mousse first. Place the chopped white chocolate pieces in a heat safe bowl.
- Heat the heavy whipping cream in a saucepan until just boiling.
- Pour over the white chocolate pieces and mix with a whisk until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Place in refrigerator overnight.
- Take the white chocolate mixture out of the refrigerator and mix on high speed with a whisk attachment until soft peaks form.
- Place back in refrigerator.
- In a medium bowl beat egg whites with a mixer until soft peaks form add sugar and beat another 30 seconds or until still and glossy.
- Fold the egg white mixture into the white chocolate mixture and refrigerate while making the cupcakes.
- In a large bowl, mix the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add sugar until well incorporated.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time.
- Add almond and vanilla extract and mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine cake flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the milk (starting and ending with flour).
- In a small bowl, toss the cranberries in 1 tablespoon of cake flour.
- Carefully fold the cranberries into the batter.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full as they will not rise very much.
- Bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes for mini cupcakes or 25 - 35 minutes for regular sized cupcakes.
- The tops should turn a light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean.
- Let them cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- While you are waiting for the cupcakes to cool down, make frosting.
- Mix the butter and cream cheese together in a large bowl.
- Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing well.
- Add the vanilla extract and the maple syrup and mix well.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled completely, make a small hole in the middle of each one and fill with the white chocolate mousse filling.
- Use a piping bag and fill with the frosting to frost each cupcake.
Sugar Covered Cranberry Garnish (optional)
- Rinse cranberries and place them in a small bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat the maple syrup just to get it warm, not hot.
- Pour the warm syrup over the cranberries, cover and refrigerate overnight.
The next day
- Take the cranberries out of the refrigerator.
- Drain the cranberries in a colander.
- Place the sugar in a small bowl and place a few cranberries at a time in the bowl to coat with sugar.
- Place the sugared cranberries on a baking sheet to dry (about 1 hour).
- Place one sugared cranberry on top of each cupcake.
Stahlbush Island Farms http://www.stahlbush.com/