Blueberry & Buttermilk Scones
Write a review
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup Stahlbush Island Farms Blueberries
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg lightly beaten for egg wash
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flours, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter with a pastry cutter, or rub in with your fingers, until mixture has the texture of coarse meal.
- Stir in blueberries.
- Whisk together buttermilk, 1 egg, and the vanilla.
- Drizzle over flour mixture, and stir lightly with your fingers or a fork until dough comes together.
- Gently knead dough once or twice just to incorporate flour.
- Pat dough into a 1-inch-thick round. Cut into 12 wedges.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 22 minutes.
Stahlbush Island Farms http://www.stahlbush.com/